Borys Grinchenko Kyiv University
The article explores the history of the Rokytne Glass Factory in the 20-30s of the XX century. This factory owned by «Vitrum» Industrial Trading House and was one of the most successful enterprises of the glass manufacturing industry of the Second Polish Republic. Since 1922 four glass factories located in Volomin, Vilna, Pinsk and Rokytne laid the foundation for the company, producing glass bottles, window glass, and in 1934 thimbles were added to the variety of products. The glass industry crisis resulted in a three-time rebranding of the Vitrum Trade Industrial House, which made it possible to remain in the market and to preserve the factory in Rokytne as an industrial unit.
During the interwar period, Rokytne Glass Factory was reconstructed, rebuilt after the fire of 1933, and modernized. Due to the strategic economic role for the country, the industrial enterprise was restored, and the production capacity was increased by the means from public funds. At the same time, the working elite had dramatically transformed and, along with the Polish unions, had improved the working conditions and wages rate as well. In 1937, a state collective labor agreement for glass factories was signed, where decent work conditions, timely and proper payment of wages were agreed between the unions and the owners.
The author notes that, notwithstanding the unstable situation of the Second Polish Republic and the global economic crisis, Rokytne Glass Factory remained the most profitable enterprise of the company. The wide assortment, quality of glass products, and enterprise production were highly appreciated within both domestic and foreign markets.
Keywords: glass factory, window glass, fiberglass, glass melting furnace, government order, trade union, strike.